Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Goals are Mine.

I have three huge goals I’m pursuing. They are dreams I want to come true. I’m not telling you about them until well after the fact. Yesterday, my partner reminded me of a study that determined that talking too openly about ambitions and goals releases the same sets of brain chemicals that are released when you actually achieve a goal. Basically, talking about your goals too much tells your brain and body that you’re satisfied, and then you discover that goal doesn’t blossom into fruition. Your goal is talked to death.

I know this is true because I’ve personally done this so many times. I can recall at least a dozen things I’ve wanted to do that never happened. Oh, I talked about those things endlessly and with great enthusiasm. What do I have to show for it? Nothing. The old adage is often true: words are cheap.

When it comes to goals, I need action and less talking. I need steps and lists and discipline, not more talking. Our society talks too much and does so little. We endlessly talk about curing cancer, healing the environment, ending domestic violence, funding the arts, etc. None of it happens. I believe we talk things to death.

My goals are mine. Your goals are yours. Tell me about them after you’ve reached them, and I’ll do the same.