Thursday, April 16, 2009

Margaret

Her voice is full of fear. She's already in pain. I've answered the call and have cleared my calendar through the end of May. Our long-anticipated road-trip to New Mexico and Arizona is still on the schedule, but we've warned our friends that the trip could be called off at a moment's notice.

Cancer is a force of nature. Every species battles it. We're losing that battle in so many ways. We've poisoned our own wells. No other species has done that. Yet, we battle on against the odds.

In those battles are our mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, partners and babies. We will join this battle whether we want to or not.

Tonight, I can only focus on one warrior: one woman among millions who finds her body invaded by her own cells gone mad. My mother and my friend. Fight hard, Margaret. I've got your back.