Friday, April 10, 2009

The Merman

On my easel, resides a merman. He's haunted me for years, and several weeks ago, I finally started bringing him forth from my thoughts. He is more than siren, and more than song. He's something ancient and powerful beyond words. He has been with me since I was a boy, and he'll be with me when I cross over into the next life.

Lately, as his first layers of paint have dried, he's been telling me to add more hue, more depth. And so I will honor his wishes. He's also conveyed that he has brothers, and so I've decided to bring them forth, as well. They are countless.

His sisters and mother are being brought forth by other hands. My task is to liberate his cadre, his ageless fraternity.

And yes, like the song of his sisters, his call controls me. I am his, utterly and forever.